Tuesday, December 23, 2008

I have a bad feeling about this...

I just got finished reading this post on the Slice of SciFi blog. Go ahead, read it - it'll only take a minute.

Let me get this straight. Warner Brothers has essentially bought the movie rights to a collection of short stories whose only common thread is that they were written by the same fictional character. Warner Brother apparently believes that these five tales can be lumped together into one movie.

My concern is that they're going to try to make a single story out of this, rather than presenting an anthology style movie. This would undoubtedly defeat the individual stories.

Anthology movies have been done in the past (Twilight Zone, Cat's Eye...). Maybe if somebody framed this with words like "remake" or "reimagining," it could happen. Hey, it worked for Charlie's Angels...twice.

Maybe I'm just being too cynical...

1 comment:

  1. You know how books can be severely changed to become movies, right? Well, perhaps they will change some stuff and Pulp Fictionize it; tell the stories all intermingled together.

    Another possibility is to have someone read the stories to someone else, a la The Princess Bride.

    I'm just speculating, though. I've never read the book in question.

    ReplyDelete