Thursday, December 18, 2008

Just when you thought it was over

The tale of the Xbox 360 remote control continues.

Clearly, the remote control hasn't been returned to the store yet. As it turns out, this is a good thing.

My brother in law was over today. Being a video gamer of epic proportions, he decided to play with the remote control to see if he could get it to work. I wasn't there (I was working at the time), but my wife says that it took him about 2 minutes to get it to work. Guess what the problem was.

It wasn't the batteries.
It wasn't that I wasn't pointing the remote at the 360 (duh).
It wasn't a blocked infared sensor.
It wasn't the immense distance between my 360 and my sofa.
It wasn't that the drapes were open.

Apparently, it's necessary to change one of the Xbox 360's settings in order for it to accept input via the infared sensor.

This information was not in the instructions that came with the remote, nor was it on Microsoft's website. Even the tech support drone who "answered" my e-mail didn't know that this needed to be done.

It's difficult for me to express how much I was angered by this complete and utter lack of competence.

1 comment: