Sunday, December 7, 2008

Remembering a Fanboy Moment

My friends and I have decided to play some D&D. Specifically, they're going to start adventuring in the Forgotten Realms, under 3E rules (I'm going to be the Dungeon Master).

As part of my initial preparations, I pulled out all of my old RPG books. Among the old D&D, GURPS and Star Wars sourcebooks, I found something that made me chuckle. It's a book that I bought about ten years ago (toward the end of my first "Gaming Phase"), and I'm pretty sure that it qualifies as my most ridiculous fanboy purchase ever.

It's a reprint of an old First Edition D&D sourcebook entitled Unearthed Arcana. This book is loaded with spells, magic items, and other information to enrich a campaign with a lot of magic. As I recall, it cost me something like $7.

Considering the fact that First Edition tomes are something of a collector's item, and knowing my players' fascination with all things magical, I bought it.

Not bad, right? Well, there's something that this picture doesn't show you: the size of the book. Here's another image, with my 3E Player's Handbook as a size reference.

It's freakin' TINY! even the text inside the book was minituraized!

I don't know why I bought this book. Attempting to read it is pretty much a guarantee of ocular damage, yet I shelled out $7 (or so) for it.

This isn't the only first edition book that got the mini treatment. I remember seeing miniature copies of the Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide and Monstrous Manual alongside the one that I bought.

Clearly, Wizards of the Coast/TSR knows exactly how to make money on the dorks that comprise their customer base. They certainly lured me in.

1 comment:

  1. That's awesome! I larfed loud and hard when I saw the photo of both books at the same time.

    ReplyDelete