Friday, March 13, 2009

Why I Love the Sharp Edge

For those of you who don't live in Pittsburgh (or for you 'burghers who are just unaware), the Sharp Edge is a small chain of restaurants that specialize in good food and great beer. I recently had an awesome experience involving the Sharp Edge and the interwebs.

Last Saturday, I said via Twitter, "Apparently, Dogfish Head is currently the #1 bottled beer at the Sharp Edge. Maybe they'll have the 120 minute IPA when I go on Friday..." This seemingly innocent tweet would soon lead to awesomeness.

The next day, I found a message in my e-mail from Twitter. The Sharp Edge was now following me on Twitter. No biggie - I'm sure that lots of companies monitor Twitter for mentions - who needs focus groups when you can get honest, unsolicited opinions? I, of course, followed them right back. Up-to-the-minute beer updates = Epic Win.

Yet another day passed. I came home from work, opened TweetDeck, and found that I had received a direct message from the Sharp Edge. "Let me know which Sharp Edge you're going to on Friday and I'll make sure they have DFH 120 Minute IPA on hand." I shit you not.

Needless to say, I immediately replied with the location that I was planning to visit (the Beer Emporium). Mere hours later, I had another direct message. "They will have a bottle available for you, tell them Lazarus sent you" (name changed to protect the awesome).

Today was the Friday in question. As planned, I went to the Beer Emporium (we were celebrating a friend's birthday). Before telling the waitress that I had been sent by "Lazarus," I checked out the beer menu. DFH 120 was there ($17 a bottle, and worth every dollar). I didn't even need to invoke the name of "Lazarus."

I enjoyed a DFH 120, a Scotch de Silly, and a delicious Shepherd's Pie. The birthday celebration was a success.

"Lazarus," if you're reading this, you're awesome. If we ever meet in person, I owe you a beer. A good beer.

3 comments:

  1. I'm gonna print this up and put it on my fridge, seriously. I linked this over on my personal blog.

    http://myinternetvoice.blogspot.com/2009/03/i-am-full-of-awesomeness-also-i-am.html

    Glad to hear you had a good time and all went well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that guy rocks. as does the sharp edge. my favorite location is the creek house, but he makes sure all of the facilities have amazing beer.

    beer is good food for this irish girl, this time of the year and always.

    glad you hear you had a great experience.

    and yay, twitter!

    ReplyDelete