Sunday, September 6, 2009

Verily, I have aged.

Today is my 33rd birthday. However, as is tradition in my house, the celebratory fun started a couple days ago.

The birthday goodness started on Thursday, when I came home to find a package from Amazon, addressed to me. I hadn't placed an order with Amazon recently, so this could only mean one thing: Some clever person had gone birthday shopping using my Wish List! Sure enough, when I opened the box, I found several DVD's that I've been wanting.

My birthday was starting a day earlier than I had anticipated. Awesome!

Friday, I took a bus after work to go meet my wife near where she works. We went out for a tasty Cali-Mex dinner and a trip to a local Drive-In theater. Dinner was delicious, and mine was free (if you sign up for their mailing list, you get free birthday dinners). I decided that the free dinner was sufficient justification for me to order a Tequila flight.

The three shots that you see here are all from the Don Julio distillery (there were two others to choose from). From left to right, they are the añejo, the reposado, and the blanco. For those who don't know their tequila, blanco is the youngest, and añejo is the oldest. All were tasty, but the añejo was certainly the standout. It went well with my carnitas burrito.

After dinner, it was off to the drive-in, where we hoped to take in a triple feature.

Film #1 was Halloween 2. I quite liked it - Rob Zombie continues to explore who Michael Meyers is, and why he is a killer. My only real complaint (the hyperactive ADD camerawork in the action sequences) isn't specific to this film - it's more of an "across the board" complaint.

Film #2 was Inglorious Basterds. Loved it. Simply marvelous. I really don't have any complaints about this one.

Film #3 was to be Brüno. However, the hour was late, we were tired, and we'd already seen Brüno. So, we went home instead.

Yesterday was the "big" party. We got together with friends and family at a local sushi restaurant, where I (along with my wife, mother and sister-in-law) proceeded to devour a rather large sushi boat. It was freaking delicious!

After dinner, we retired to my house to play a game. One of the games that The Wife got me. Of course, before the game could be played, I needed to open my other gifts. There was some really good stuff.

From my brother-in-law: Stealth action in Gotham City.

From my parents, brother, and sister-in-law: I'll be busy in the kitchen.

From one pair of friends: A pepper plant...if I didn't know better, I'd suspect that they were in cahoots with my family.

From another pair of friends and their three year old daughter: After all these years, I still can't make the paddleball work.

Last (certainly not least), from yet another pair of friends: I've been looking for this for years. It's an amusing story - perhaps I'll tell it here later.

Once the presents were opened, we opened up the cupcakes we'd gotten earlier that day. Best. Cupcakes. Ever. They cost $25 per dozen, and they're worth every penny.

Cupcakes in hand, we played some Star Trek Scene It. My dad and I totally geeked out, and everybody else seemed to enjoy it as well (even the non-Trekkies). Of course, we relented after a bit, and watched Wall-E (love that movie).

So, here I sit. It's my 33rd birthday, and I've partied well. The rest of today will be spent playing video games, watching movies, and generally having a nice laid-back day with my lovely wife. My kinda day.

Tomorrow, we visit Mom and Dad for steaks and Discworld.

Life - I'm doin' it right.

No comments:

Post a Comment