Thursday, April 15, 2010

Third Generation Geek



A little while ago, I was idly surfing the interwebs when I happened upon a smallish image of an old magazine ad for Radio Shack.  The ad, which was for the TRS-80 pocket computer,  featured the great Isaac Asimov.  The image itself was rather small, so I sis a Google image search for "Asimov Radio Shack ad."  I found what I was looking for in no time at all.
 Almost immediately, however my eye was drawn to another image.  An image that triggered a walk down memory lane.
Take a look at the computer next to Isaac's hand.  Waaaaay back when I was still a proto-geek, my grandfather had that very computer.  Most of what I remember about that computer was playing Pyramid 2000, a text-based adventure similar to the classic Zork.
I never managed to complete the game.  Once, I managed to die three times in rapid succession without getting past the antechamber.  The game actually gets a little sarcastic if you die a lot.
Most often, I'd end up getting stuck in "a maze of twisty passages, all alike."  This bit was insidious, and I always needed to call Grandpap for help.  He would come over, pull a large binder down from a shelf above the desk, leaf through it for a moment, and talk me through the maze.
He had created his own strategy guide.
On many occasions, I've referred to myself as a third generation geek.  Now you know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment