Monday, May 24, 2010

Understanding Your Audience

Unless you've been living in some sort of cave, you're well aware that the series finale of Lost aired last night. I was, of course, one of the millions of geeks (some closeted, others brazen) watching the pre-show recap and the finale itself (the Jimmy Kimmel post-game report...I mean Aloha to Lost special...is waiting on my DVR as I write). The internet is undoubtedly brimming with praise, vitriol, lamentation, and other reactions to the show's end. While I do indeed have an opinion on the finale, that's not the purpose of this blog.
Instead, I'm going to talk about the commercials that aired.
For the most part, the commercials were the standard fare. There were commercials for cars, department stores, cleaning products, upcoming movies...all the commercials that you'd expect to see over the course of several hours of television watching. One particular retail chain, however, really stood out above all of the other advertisers, in that they displayed a fantastic understanding of the audience they were "speaking" to and the importance of the situation.
Let's take a look, shall we?

These are the kind of commercials that one expects to see aired during the superbowl.
The Lost finale was a 2.5 hour event, complete with pre-game show and post-game wrap-up. It drew millions of viewers, many of whom would otherwise have been watching a different stations (assuming they were watching TV at all). I'd go so far as to call it the geeks' superbowl.
Target alone seemed to understand this. Their ads stood head and shoulders above the rest.
Hell, if more commercials were this entertaining, I might actually pay attention to them.

Well done, Target - my hat's off to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment