Wednesday, June 16, 2010

That Should Simplify Things

Recently, I was browsing the website of a rather excellent purveyor of comic books and other geek paraphernalia when I noticed that they (like so many other online retailers) offer a wishlist function. Geek that I am, I immediately started a list.

A couple days later, I got to thinking about this wishlist. I already have a wishlist on Amazon, and another on ThinkGeek. A third wishlist was sure to make Christmas and other gift-related events unnecessarily confusing. Inevitably, I came to the conclusion that it'd be awesome if there was some sort of wishlist aggregator available, to keep all of the cool things that I want in one list. Sure, Amazon has an "Add To Wishlist" button that will allow you to add anything on the entire internet to your Amazon list, but that doesn't sit right with me. If you're looking at an Amazon list, you tend to assume that you're looking at a list of products offered by Amazon - this is especially important if you're hoping to score free shipping.

I did a bit of searching, and I found three promising candidates:

The first one, Meta Wishlist, seems to be long gone. MetaWishlist.com simply redirects to Google, so no luck there.

The second one, Wish Radar, immediately showed promise by existing. Ultimately, however, I was disappointed. Wish Radar is really little more than a service to monitor your Amazon wishlist and let you know if something goes on sale. Not quite what I was looking for.

It's been said that the third time's the charm. My third try was a service called Wishpot, and it was indeed the charm. Wishpot uploaded my entire Amazon wishlist, and through the use of their "Add to Wishopt" bookmarklet, I was able to quickly add the items from my ThinkGeek and TFAW wishlists.

Gaze in wonderment upon my master wishlist!

No comments:

Post a Comment