Sunday, November 13, 2011

Getting Older

Two days ago, Bethesda Softworks released The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (just in case you somehow missed the internet-wide "SQUEE"). As soon as the workday was done, I visited GameStop, cashed in the gift card that my brother gave me for my birthday, and acquired my copy. Of course, I spent the rest of Friday night in Tamriel. Then Skyrim showed me how old I'm getting.

There was a time, not long ago, when I would have spent my entire weekend in Tamriel. Hours upon hours of slaying dragons, exploring ruins, and assassinating baddies who don't even know I'm there would have made this a truly epic weekend. There's still a part of me, somewhere in my brain, that thought this might still be possible.

Unsurprisingly, I was distracted by all the side quests:
Couch Potato - Your DVR is getting dangerously full. Watch at least three shows so that it won't explode.
Outdoor Maid - The average maple tree has between 500 and 1,000 leaves, and they're all over your yard!
Celebrate! - Your friend's child is having a birthday, and a celebratory dinner seems to be just the thing.
What a Mess! - Dirty dishes and clothes abound; are you equal to the task?

Despite my best efforts, it looks like I've grown up. On the plus side, I've completed nearly all of my side quests. In fact, I think I just leveled up!

3 comments:

  1. I think that you forgot a few:

    Awesome Hubby - Your wife is hungry. She wants breakfast. You must keep up the awesome hubby status.

    Hairy Man - Your are starting to look like a scruffy nerfherder. Time to get out the razor!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm happy I'm not the only one. Skyrim has made me feel old. I can no longer marathon game. Unless you consider a marathon two hours. My brain says, "PLAY", but another part of my brain says, "I thought you wanted to read, go pick up that book". Oh, and naps. Gotta have the weekend naps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I earn XP in real life side quests, my Strength and Constitiution seem to go down. Shouldn't they go up with new levels? I must be cursed with Oldeus Ageous.

    ReplyDelete