Wednesday, November 6, 2013

You Never Forget Your First

As I've discussed elsewhere, G.I. Joe was an important part of my childhood. One action figure became two. Soon, I was watching the cartoon on a daily basis while playing with my Killer W.H.A.L.E.

G.I. Joe was also my initiation to comic books.

One fine afternoon in 1987, I was out with my family at a (now closed) mall when I noticed a comic book store. Perusing their brightly colored wares, my attention was quickly caught by a familiar red, white, and blue logo. There was a G.I. Joe comic book? Even more intriguing was the as-yet unfamiliar character on the cover, with the tag line "Cobra Commander Reborn!"

Was this a new Cobra Commander? What did they mean by "Reborn"? Was the old Cobra Commander dead? Was this guy the new Cobra leader? Was it just a clever way to say "Check out the new design we came up with for Cobra Commander"? Could I live with myself if I didn't buy this comic book RIGHT NOW?

I'm fairly certain I read it twice on the way home. There was a covert mission to hack into a Terror Drome. Cobra Commander was trying, with the help of a Cobra operative, to save his comatose son. These were not the stories I'd been watching on TV. They were better.

I was hooked. My brother was hooked. Over the next year, we bought as many issues of G.I. Joe as we could get out hands on. Unfortunately, the allure of new action figures and vehicles soon re-directed our allowance flow away from the comics.

Fast forward a couple decades, and we're at my parents' house for the annual Thanksgiving Feast. My brother hands me a plastic bag, telling me that he was cleaning out his attic and found a few things I might be interested in. I look in the bag. There'a my old teddy bear, there's most of the Karameikos AD&D campaign setting, there's...

Holy crap. I never thought I'd see it again.


It's pretty battered, but there it is. The first comic book that I ever bought.

No comments:

Post a Comment